Thursday 15 March 2012

A little bit of structure

I've decided to write myself a timetable. As I say it I chuckle quietly to myself as it's the loosest possible use for the word timetable. Basically, I've decided that on certain days, we will cover certain subjects. I found that in amongst trying to keep up with maths, English and science, we were missing some of the amazing other subjects like music, art, geography, philosophy etc. My timetable is there basically to remind me to think outside the box.

This week already we've done a variety of things that I hadn't thought of before and the children are really enjoying the structure. They know the routine and feel safer for knowing it. I feel more organised and better prepared each day.




We went and bought some fabulous material to make Harry Potter cloaks. The boys adored making them and picked up sewing machine skills really quickly. They love riding round on their brush broomsticks.  I love that their imaginations and quirky natures are free to to flow.



Today, they worked on these workbooks that I downloaded from Enchanted Learning. They really enjoyed it and it led to so many discussions. We talked about the continental plates, how land masses used to fit together before the continental drift, how addresses are formed, the fact that we live on an island. It was a wonderful discussion and great fun filling in our booklets.

Then we wrote postcards to some home educated children in Alberta and America. They were really excited about that and I really hope we get some responses soon.

It's been a fabulous week. We've learnt so much and had a lot of fun. The week isn't over yet either. We have plenty planned for Friday and Saturday with St Patrick's day coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment