Sunday 29 July 2012

Some heat science

Like most people, I was slightly concerned about covering science with the children as part of home ed. I was fine with the 5 senses, but chemistry and physics? There was no way I could do that! It's one of the things that is mentioned a lot by people asking whether they might miss out on resources available in school. I even believed they might.

Then I came across An Ordinary Life? blog by a fellow home educator of younger children. Her science section is crammed full of fun, manageable experiments and has given me the confidence to get on and do some of them. So, I went shopping and this afternoon we've experimented with magnesium ribbon. I remember this experiment at school and how much I enjoyed it. We were never allowed to have a go of course, so doing it with my own little people was even more fun.



We read about magnesium and it's place in the periodic table in the brilliant book The Periodic Table Elements with Style and thoroughly enjoyed the light show.

No comments:

Post a Comment