Friday 29 June 2012

Wimbledon and the physics of a tennis ball

Yesterday we were watching a bit of Wimbledon together and we got to talking about how tennis balls work. I've never really spent much time considering it to be honest but that's the beauty of home ed.

So today, we put a tennis ball in the fridge for a few hours and then dropped it alongside a room temperature ball to see what would happen. (I won't tell you if you don't know)

Then we pretended to be molecles. First of all they were molecules in a solid. They all stood rigidly together so that I couldn't move one without the other. Then they were molecules in water. When I 'poured' them into a square pot, they took the shape of the pot. Then we all became gas molecules. I was running round like a mad thing and suddenly caught sight of George 1 looking at me in utter disbelief and he said "you've gone hyperactive!" I was just very happy that he'd understood the concept.

I then acted as if I was a molecule in the gas inside a tennis ball, and showed them how a tennis ball bounces. They thought it was hysterical.

They then wanted to put a tennis ball in the freezer too and when we got back from a firebuilding activity at the City Farm, they immediately got their tennis balls out to carry on the experiment. I think they felt sorry for the frozen gas molecules all hunched up and lacking energy!

All in all, it's been a perfect home ed day and has got me over my little wobble that I had earlier on in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment